REGULATIONS & POLICIESUpdated July 22, 20211.Information and Advicec.2.Regulations Pertaining to riod of Study for an Undergraduate degreeDefinition of Full-time/Part-time studentsProgress through DegreeCourse AuditorsMaximum Course Load per TermRequisites (Prerequisites & Corequisites)Recommended Pre-Registration AdvisingMajor Declaration and AdvisingLetters of Permission / Registration for Courses atOther Post-secondary Institutions for TransferCreditHoldsStudent Health PlansU-Pass8.AttendanceCourse OutlinesCompleting Course WorkCourse Withdrawal/DropFormat of Submitted WorkIdentification at Tests and ExaminationsEntry to and Exit from Final ExaminationsPosting of GradesAcademic Misconduct Policy/ProceduresNon-academic Misconduct Policy/ProceduresSenate Appealsa.b.c.d.e.f.g.i.Classroom Regulationsa.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.Student Disciplinea.b.9.Minimum Performance Requirements to Remainin a ProgramProbationary Status StudentsMature Status StudentsAcademic SuspensionNot Allowed to Continue StatusEarly Alert Program/Student Success AdvisorsInformation and AdviceAdmissionCredit and Audit Status in CoursesDeferred exams and Incomplete Term WorkRetroactive WithdrawalRe-AdmissionWaiver of Graduation RequirementsFurther Appeal10. Grade Appealsa.b.c.Grades on an Individual Item of WorkFinal GradesFurther Appeal11. University Policies4.a.Gradinga.b.c.d.e.f.Final GradesNotification of GradesRepeating CoursesCalculating the Grade Point Average (GPA)Degree GPA (Graduation GPA)Cumulative GPA5.Transcript of Academic Record6.Recognition of Prior Learning7.Academic Standing and Status Evaluationa.b.Grade Point Requirements for DegreesAwards, Bursaries and Scholarships, Prizes andMedalsb.c.d.e.f.g.h.Respectful Working and Learning EnvironmentPolicy and ProceduresService Animals on Campus Policy andProceduresSexual Violence Prevention Policy andProceduresResponsible Conduct in Research andScholarship PolicyPolicies on Research And Experimental EthicsLibrary PoliciesAcceptable Use of Information Technology PolicyStudent Financial Appeal Policy12. Graduationa.b.Application to GraduateAcademic Dress1. Information and AdviceAs expressed in its guiding principles, The University ofWinnipeg is committed to fostering an environment in which“a community of scholars - students and faculty - may havethe freedom to examine ideas responsibly, and to participatein the academic operations of the institution throughprocesses which reflect a balance between democracy,efficiency, innovation and accountability.” To this end, thegoverning bodies of the University have developed variousregulations, policies and procedures to guide the activities ofthis community. Many of these regulations and policies aredescribed or cited in this section. Advice and furtherinformation can be obtained from an Academic Advisor.Each policy statement mentions an individual or departmentto contact for advice and further information.Information on how to register for coursescan be found in the “Registration” section ofthe website at www.uwinnipeg.ca2.Regulations Pertaining to Registrationa.Period of Study for an Undergraduate DegreeWhile the University continues to offer students theconventional route of full-time study towards their degrees,students may choose to pursue the degree on a part-timebasis or through some combination of full- and part-timestudies. There is no limit to the time it takes to earn adegree.b.Definition of Full-time / Part-time StudentsStudents will be registered in one of the two followingcategories: Full-time - Registered for minimum 9 credit hours perterm

Part-time - Registered for fewer than 9 credit hours pertermStudents participating in experiential learning opportunitiesencompassing 30 hours or more per week for the length ofthe regular academic term may also be considered full-timein certain circumstances.c. Progress through DegreeStudents are considered to have completed the individualyears of their degree programs at the following points: First year - 30 credit hours completed; Second year - 60 credit hours completed; Third year - 90 credit hours completed; Fourth year - 120 credit hours completed; Fifth year - 150 credit hours completed.d.Course AuditorsAuditing a course means taking the course withoutreceiving academic credit towards a degree.Auditedcourses will be recorded on the student transcript as AU.Current students may attend courses as an auditorprovided they first request permission to audit the coursefrom the instructor prior to their registration appointmentdate. If approved to audit the course, permission will beemailed to Registration.Students wishing to change their registration from creditto audit, or audit to credit, may do so during the period forcourse and section changes. Any changes after this periodmust be appealed to the Senate Appeals Committee throughAcademic Advising.For information on fees to audit a course, please seeFees on the University website.For descriptions of all student categories, see the“Admissions” section of this Academic Calendar.e.Maximum Course Load per TermThere is a limit to the number of credit hours a studentmay take per term.Regular StatusThe normal maximum course load for Regular status is15 credit hours per term.–Students who have completed 30 credit hours or more,with a GPA of 2.5 (C ) or higher, may register for 18 credithours per term without seeking written permission.–All other Regular status students must seek the writtenpermission of an Academic Advisor if they wish to registerfor more than the normal maximum course load.Many second, third and fourth year courses haveprerequisites which are noted in the course descriptions. It isthe student’s responsibility to ensure that all requisites aremet or a departmental waiver is obtained before registration.Students who believe they have backgroundcomparable to the material in a prerequisite course may askeither the Department Chair or the course instructor forpermission to take a course without having taken theprerequisite course(s). Students must first obtain approvalfor the prerequisite waiver prior to being registered. Ifapproved, either the instructor or the Department Chair (ordesignate) will email the permission to Student Central. Youwill then be notified by Student Central when you canregister for the course. If the course is full, you can placeyourself on the course wait list. For more information,please go to the “Registration” section of the University’swebsite, under “Requisite Waivers, Department Approvalsand Granted Petitions.”Note: If you are on a Waitlist and a seat becomes available,an email will be sent to your UW Webmail account withinstructions on how to claim your seat in the course. Formore information, please go the “Registration” section of theUniversity’s website, under “Wait Lists.”High School Prerequisites for First Year CoursesThe following departments and programs have Senior 4(Grade 12) or equivalent prerequisites which must be metbefore students may take introductory courses in thesedepartments.In order to register for:AppliedComp.ScienceBiologyPre-Calculus Mathematics40Sor Applied Mathematics 40SACS-1905Minimum grade of 75 (orequivalent) in ComputerScience 40S plus one of PreCalculus Math 40S or AppliedMathematics 40SBIOL-1115Chemistry 40S andPre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40SBIOL-1116Chemistry 40S andPre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40SPre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40S or equivalent Probationary/Conditional Status StudentsProbationary and Conditional status students mayregister for a maximum of 9 credit hours per term. Studentswishing to register for more than 9 credit hours per term,must seek written permission of an Academic Advisor beforeregistration. Mature Status StudentsMature status students are limited to 12 credit hours perterm unless written permission for an overload is obtainedfrom an Academic Advisor. Concurrent Status StudentsConcurrent students are allowed a maximum of 15credit hours per term in courses taken at the Collegiate andthe University (a full credit course in the Collegiate isequivalent to 6 credit hours).Requisites (Prerequisites & Corequisites)Requisites are requirements that must be met in orderto take a course and receive credit for it. They may includeprerequisites (courses that should be completed beforehand)and/or corequisites (courses to be taken concurrently,including labs).A prerequisite is a course that must be successfullycompleted before a student can register for another course.Business &EconomicsChemistryf.Economicsyou must have standing in:ACS-1903BUS-1201BUS-1202Pre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40S or equivalent.CHEM-1111Chemistry 40S andPre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40SCHEM-1112Chemistry 40S andPre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40SECON-1201Pre-Calculus Mathematics40Sor Applied Mathematics 40S

MathematicsMATH-1101Pre-Calculus Mathematics40SMATH-1102Pre-Calculus Mathematics40Sor Applied Mathematics 40SMATH-1103Pre-Calculus Mathematics40SPre-Calculus Mathematics40Sor Applied Mathematics -Calculus Mathematics40Sor Applied Mathematics 40SPre-Calculus Mathematics40Sor Applied Mathematics 40SPHYS-1101Physics 40S andPre-Calculus Mathematics40Sor Applied Mathematics 40SPHYS -1301Pre-Calculus Mathematics40Sor Applied Mathematics 40SSTAT 1301Pre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40SSTAT-1401Pre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40SPre-Calculus Mathematics40S or Applied Mathematics40SSTAT 1501g.Recommended Pre-Registration AdvisingAcademic Advising is highly recommended for all newlyaccepted, first-year, continuing and transferring students.Academic Advisors can assist students with detailedinformation related to registration, programs, courses,procedures, student services and academic supports. Thiscan be done after a student has been admitted to theUniversity or at any point throughout their education.First-year students can particularly benefit frominformation about the registration process. The University ofWinnipeg also offers First Year Information (FYI) sessionsduring April, May, June, July, August, December andJanuary. For details, please go to A FirstYear Information video series is also ng/first-yearinformation-videos.htmlThe feedback and guidance of an Academic Advisor isavailable for all students. Students also have access to anonline tool called “Student Planning.” Student Planningshould always be used in conjunction with the AcademicCalendar.Please be aware that Bachelor of Education students arerequired to meet with designated BEd Advisors regardingcourse selection and planning. BEd Advising info can befound academicadvising.html.Students with disabilities may benefit from contactingAccessibility Services prior to registering for vices/Please contact Academic and Career Services at (204)786-9257 or email [email protected] to either set upan appointment (30 minutes), or come to a drop-in session(10 minutes), Monday to Friday. The drop-in schedule canbe found here: Appointments can also be booked online The Academic and Career Services office islocated at 489 Portage Avenue, 1st Floor, Rice Building.h.Major Declaration and AdvisingStudents are asked to declare a Major beforeregistering for their 36th credit hour of course work and arerequired to declare the Major before registering for their 60thcredit hour of course work.The best way to choose a major is to become wellinformed! Knowledge about the wide range of options formajors - together with a good understanding of yourinterests, goals and preferences - will help you pick the bestmajor for you. Academic and Career Advisors are availableto help. Appointments with an Advisor can be booked byemailing: [email protected], calling: (204) 786-9257 orvisiting Tips for Major selection can be foundon the Academic and Career Services /.Students are normally required to consult with, andreceive written permission from the Department Chair orProgram Coordinator before declaring a Major. MajorDeclaration forms are found online at “Forms” and at StudentCentral.For further information on declaring a Major, please seeDegree and Major Requirements.i.Letters of Permission / Registration for Courses atOther Post-secondary Institutions for Transfer of CreditUniversity of Winnipeg students who want to takecourses at other recognized universities or accreditedcolleges for transfer of credit to the Faculties of Arts,Science, Education, Kinesiology, and Business andEconomics must apply for a Letter of Permission (LOP) bythe deadline date for each Term. Letters of Permission mustbe obtained prior to a student’s registering for courses at thehost institution. See permission.htmlNOTE: Students taking courses at two Post-secondaryinstitutions must have one of them as their homeinstitution and be on approved visiting status at theother, unless participating in a formal joint programbetween the two.- To be eligible for a Letter of Permission students must beon Regular Status and have successfully completed, at timeof application, a minimum of 18 credit hours of University ofWinnipeg course work with a minimum GPA of 2.0 (C). Thisrequirement also applies to Transfer Students. (No Lettersof Permission will be issued to students whose status isMature, Conditional, Concurrent or Probation.)- Students who have not registered in courses at TheUniversity of Winnipeg for one or more years must completean Application for Continuance before the Letter ofPermission will be processed.- If there